Motorists who plan their nights out minimise stress and the chance of being a victim of
crime. As such, Simon Elstow from the Institute of Advanced Motorists has a few thoughts:
- Plan ahead. Find out where to park near to your destination whether itís the theatre,
cinema or restaurant. Leave plenty of time to get there, park and walk to the venue.
- Park in a well-lit and open area.
- If you arrive while itís still light do any reversing then, so you can just drive without
having to do so in the dark.
- If you drive to a party and drink when you didnít expect to, donít risk it. Book
yourself a taxi or arrange for a friend or family member to collect you.
- If youíre going out in a group, have a designated driver or use the train, bus or cab
rather than drive.
- Make sure you have plenty of fuel for the return trip. Garages might be shut on the
Elstow said: ďDonít just remove valuables from your car. Opportunist thieves will smash
windows to get anything. If they can sell your road atlas for 50p, they will break in and
By Stephen Turvil
Mon, 24 Sep 2012