posted 3 years ago

Drivers face a postcode lottery

Residential parking permits have now become something of a postcode lottery for drivers all over the UK with costs varying from town to town.

City Councils are responsible for issuing residential parking permits but some councils charge nothing for a permit whilst others are charging up to a massive £750 per year. Parking your car outside your home has now become a postcode lottery. According to research by Churchill Car Insurance 62% of local councils issue parking permits to residents whilst the remaining 38% don’t. Then those that do issue almost one in three have a range of charges and just 15% offer free annual parking permits. 

Highest Parking Permits 

Manchester City Council and Birmingham City Council have the highest parking permit charges with residents paying up to £750 per year. This works out twelve times more than the average cost across the UK.  Many would believe London would be near the top of the list for charging high for permits but councils in the capital only appear four times near the top of list with the Borough of Islington the only one in the top five. 

Extra Hidden Charges 

There are other charges that could apply that motorists maybe unaware of, some councils actually charge for replacement permits even if they have been lost or stolen. Plus zone tariffs are another variable factor, Birmingham City Council charge £16 for a permit covering parking zones outside the city centre and £750 for a permit covering the inner zone of the city centre. Emissions tariffs also play a part in the costs,  in the London Borough of Islington permits for electric cars are free whereas for cars over 2751cc permits cost £434. Multiple permits also affect costs, Daventry District Council charge £17 for the first permit and £288 for each additional permit. London Borough of Hammersmith & Fulham charge £60 for the first permit with a ‘greener vehicle’ discount but would charge £497 for a second permit. 

Responding councils that charge the highest annual parking permit cost

Rank Top 10 councils UK Highest annual parking permit cost
1 Birmingham City Council £750.00
1 Manchester City Council £750.00
3 London Borough of Islington £434.00
4 Mole Valley Council £350.00
5 City of Edinburgh £280.00
6 Solihull Metropolitan Borough Council £275.00
7 London Borough of Hackney £265.00
7 London Borough of Hackney £265.00
8 London Borough of Lambeth £260.00
9 City of Glasgow £250.00
9 Sevenoaks District Council £250.00
9 Forest Heath District Council £250.00
12 London Borough of Brent £218.00
13 Mendip District Council £215.00

How Much Do You Pay Per Year?