Ford Mondeo Hits A Milestone At Edgbaston
Ford Mondeo Celebrates 20th Anniversary
The Ford Mondeo launched back in 1993 and since then 1,379,352 have been sold.
In 1994 alone UK customers bought 127,000 of them proving how popular it was to become.
Here are a few facts about the Ford Mondeo:
- It debuted standard driver airbags
- The police used the ST200 as a pursuit car. This version had a 2.5-litre V6 24V engine.
- The Mondeo gave Ford a world record for the biggest poster when they placed an advert about the car on the side of Fort Dunlop, which stands next to the M6 near Birmingham.
- The Mondeo hit the big screen in the James Bond film Casino Royale.
- It has won many awards including What Car? Car of the Year in 1993, 2001 and Auto Express Car of the Year in 2007.
- The best selling UK large car from 1994-98, 2001-06 and 2008.
- The Mondeo was one of the first cars to pass through the as-yet unfinished Channel Tunnel in 1993 during The Overland Challenge.
- The car dominated the British Touring Car Championship in 2000.
To celebrate this anniversary, Ford have brought out two new Mondeos: the Graphite and Titanium X Edition.
The Graphite model starts at just £15,995 with a vast list of standard equipment, which includes: LED day time running lights, rear lights with LED technology, tinted glass, Bluetooth, Eco mode driver information system, air-conditioning, Quickclear heated front windscreen, Electronic Stability Programme and headlight courtesy delay which keeps them on for a few seconds to illuminate your surroundings when you’re out of the car.
Two petrol engines, 1.6 Duratec Ti-VCT. 1.6 EcoBoost SCTi, and two diesel, 1.6 and 2.0 Duratorq TDCi are available with the Graphite model. The 2.0 diesel offers CO2 emissions of just 119g/km, so £30 in annual road tax, added with a combined mpg of 62.8 makes it highly fuel efficient.
The 1.6 EcoBoost produces 160PS and takes 9.3 seconds to get from 0 - 62mph with a top speed of 134mph.
The Titanium X Business Edition adds luxury to the Mondeo model and features included are: Chrome finish lower grille surround, front footwell illumination, brushed Titanium interior trim, front interior ambient lighting, Windsor leather trim in Ebony, DAB touchscreen navigation system and rain-sensing wipers. This version is priced from £21,995.
One petrol and two diesel engines are the choice for the Titanium X Business Edition. 1.6 EcoBoost SCTi, 1.6 Duratorq TDCi and a manual and automatic 2.0 Duratorq TDCi with 140PS and also 163PS.
The all-new fifth generation Ford Mondeo is due at the end of this year.