posted 4 years ago

Tips For Driving Abroad

Driving Licence And International Driving Permit

Driving holidays abroad can be tremendous fun but there are a few things to consider before setting-off. First and foremost, your full Great British or Northern Irish driving licence allows you to motor through Europe and the European Economic Area (plus Switzerland). This includes: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Republic of Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia, Slovakia, Spain and Sweden. However, an International Driving Permit is required – or highly recommended – if you travel further afield. There are two types of permit which complement rather than replace your driving licence. Permit 1926 relates to Brazil, Burundi, Iraq, and Somalia whereas Permit 1946 refers to a large list of countries including the U.S.A., Turkey, Thailand, Jordan, Bosnia, and Japan. Inevitably, though, rules vary from place to place so it is important to research your destination. Permit 1946, for example, is recommend for Peru but not required for trips of less than thirty days. Furthermore, 1946 must be exchanged for a local licence in Nepal after fifteen days, but converted immediately in Burma. Driving Permits cost from £5.50 via a Post Office, The Automobile Association (AA), and The Royal Automobile Club (RAC).

Advice For Driving Abroad

It is also important to learn the rules of the road in foreign counties. In Hungary, for example, dipped headlights must always be used outside built-up areas. Furthermore, the speed limit in Germany when visibility is less than fifty metres is only 50km/h. There are rules for Iceland too. As such it is prohibited to drive off marked roads or tracks as this could damage the flora and fauna. That brings us to France. Here you must have a reflective jacket in the cabin of your vehicle and put it on before exiting after a breakdown/emergency. You are required to have a warning triangle too (excluding motorcyclists). However, the AA reports that the proposed fine for not having a breathalyser has been postponed. And remember, the drink-drive limit in some countries is lower than the United Kingdom's. It is also best to carry insurance documents and the V5C log book. But even if you follow this belt and braces approach you may not be allowed to drive in Saudi Arabia. Why? Because - remarkably - women are prohibited from climbing behind the wheel. For more information relating to a large variety of countries see the Automobile Association's website. Or, would you prefer a driving tour of England?